MUEE Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

limitations of accuracy in electronic scale

4 posters

Go down

limitations of accuracy in electronic scale Empty limitations of accuracy in electronic scale

Post  Lev Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:12 am

in one of the lectures when we were doing the exam Q example where we have a mass and a spring and we have to create a electronic scale to measure the mass.

one question is "discuss the limitations of the accuracy"

what exactly would we say for this? all i can think of is that the arduino has the accuracy of (1/1024)*5 for its analog inputs

i think though there might be some other things i am missing, any thoughts guys?

Lev

Back to top Go down

limitations of accuracy in electronic scale Empty Re: limitations of accuracy in electronic scale

Post  BBNT Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:43 pm

I didn't do ESI but I would say generally two major limiations would be your sampling rate (and processing time of a sample) and the systems noise performance.

Cheers,
Bryce

BBNT

Back to top Go down

limitations of accuracy in electronic scale Empty Re: limitations of accuracy in electronic scale

Post  koya_smak88 Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:14 am

What do you mean by system noise performance?

koya_smak88

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy78 Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 am

In regards to 'noise performance', refer to the equation given by Peter, which is the Johnson-Nyquist Noise equation (look it up on wiki).

The 4 things identified by Peter were:

- Resolution of A2D conversion. we have to measure mass up to 1kg, so 1kg/(1024 quantisation levels) ~= 1g accuracy.

- The noise voltage as mentioned above

- The spring has no (explicit) damping. Therefore it will oscillate for some time after a mass has been placed on the contraption.

- In calculating the mass, we assume gravitational acceleration to be constant (ie. 9.8m/s^2) when it is actually location-dependent

One other thing is the tolerance and non-linearity of the slider pot. This will affect the voltage reading probably alot more than any of the other stuff.

lewy78

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum